Voss Bryggeri Oregonian

Hey,

Here is the recipe for Oregonian. Due to equipment differences and scale I have written the malts as percentages and the hops as addition time and IBUs. I also put the aroma hops as a percentage. This is so people can adapt the recipe to give the best result on their systems. Any questions please feel free to leave a comment.

Voss Bryggeri Oregonian

Pale Malt 92%
Munich Malt 4%
Vienna Malt 4%

Colour 13,5 EBC
Bitterness: 46 IBU
Starting Gravity 1.060 (15 plato)
Finishing Gravity 1.014 (3.5 plato)

Mash Temperature: 66 degrees celsius

Boil Time: 90 minutes

First hops: Northern Brewer at start of boil 5 IBU
Second Hops: Last 10 minutes of the boil
Cascade (8%) 3.5 IBU
Citra (4%) 3.5 IBU
Irish Moss
End of boil

Whirlpool addition: Citra (88%) 35 IBU

The vast majority of our hoppy beers get their bitterness from hopping in the whirlpool. So with the Oregonian the end hop is added during the whirlpool.

Oregonian is also dry hopped with Citra at a rate of 1.8g per litre.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Sist redigert:
Thanks, Andrew!

For how long do you whirlpool before you start pumping the wort through your heat exchanger?

We whirlpool for about 10 minutes on most beers and then a slight rest or stand before casting out through the heat exchanger.

I probably would not recommend that for a home brew though. Even by other breweries times we are quite long.

If I get you correct. You do the whirlpool for 10 minutes right after flame out? Meaning that the temperature will stay close to boiling through most of the 10 minutes of whirlpool?

Hi Andrew. Thank you for your swift reply. I plan on dropping the boil kettle temp down to about 91ºC and keep it there while whirlpooling for about 10 minutes and then chill. Will prob. be some hit and miss before I get it right :) I aim for about 10% hop utilization.

Thanks for sharing the recipe! I know many brewers that have been waiting for it :)

Sounds like you have a good handle on it. As long as its not boiling should be fine. I would estimate 10% for whirlpool as well.

Thanks, we were a bit late in posting. Good luck!

Hey,

I would dry hop for at least a few days and in regard to yeast that would be your call. I would recommend a clean ale yeast but it might work better with something else.

Thanks for the tip. Never used WLP028 though it look very interesting. Does not mute hop flavors so should do nicely in a hop forward beer. Being a English yeast it prob. lift the malt flavor of the beer a bit? Would be nice to try out another yeast then the trusty WLP001.

Tilbake
Topp