CO2

Alien

Where can a home brewer get beverage quality CO2 refills in Norway?

Sist redigert:
[QUOTE = "Amarillo mail: 473339, member: 9190"] At least Brewshop in Trondheim, perhaps elsewhere too.

https://brewshop.no/sider/fylling-av-co2-i-trondheim[/QUOTE]

Last time I drove to Trondheim it was quite a treck! I'm an hour from Oslo. No national service? Or regional? Sounds like a profitable business venture, if not...

Alternatively, those selling 'beverage-grade' CO2 cylinders really ought to back up the service with refills using certified beverage quality CO2?

[QUOTE = "Jahn mail: 473341, member: 23275"] Here is a country overview: ( http://norbrygg.no/stasjoner-fylling-av-co²/ ). [/ QUOTE]

Thanks, Jahn. I'm looking for 'beverage quality' CO2, though. I know it is available in Norway, but only for pubs, restaurants, etc., as far as I can tell. I have decided to avoid fire extinguisher CO2.

Is it your cylinders you mean? According to my CO2 supplier you need to refill at 2 bar in the cylinder to avoid oxygen contamination. If it's less than 2 bar then they will not guarantee the quality after s refill.

Is it your cylinders you mean? According to my CO2 supplier you need to refill at 2 bar in the cylinder to avoid oxygen contamination. If it's less than 2 bar then they will not guarantee the quality after s refill.

My cylinders are 2x 2kg Brewferm beverage quality. I don't go much below red 'refill warning' on the regulator. I haven't experienced the same off flavours with sodastream 'cylinders', when they get low. I'm now using sugar to prime beer in kegs and using Sodastream canisters for serving...

Maybe your cylinders are rusty on the inside I dunno. I use 6kg rebuilt fire extinguishers and they work great. I use about 12 kg CO2 a year mostly due to purging of oxygen in kegs and fermentation vessels. I would take your cylinders for inspection an flushing. I assume the local CO2 dealer can offer that.

Maybe your cylinders are rusty on the inside I dunno. I use 6kg rebuilt fire extinguishers and they work great. I use about 12 kg CO2 a year mostly due to purging of oxygen in kegs and fermentation vessels. I would take your cylinders for inspection an flushing. I assume the local CO2 dealer can offer that.

They are (apparently) beverage grade cylinders, cleaned thoroughly before sealing to meet beverage standards. And they are purged when refilled, as far as I know. They get checked when refilled, although they are not due a regulatory check for several years.

https://www.bryggselv.no/co2/400107/co2-flaske-2-kg

Sist redigert:
Sure but if you at some point had a wash back of water and oxygen it may have caused rust. I mean you do have problems with them so why not check them

I'm not sure how they would get water or O2, I have used non-return valves on the discos since day 1. And I have noticed the off flavours since they first got low. Now I am thinking this might not be that healthy...

Strange. But heck try a new supplier. And inspection.

Hence my quest for beverage grade CO2. It is a standard for the beverage industry, but we as home brewers (in Norway) are excluded from purchasing it generally, above Sodastream canisters anyway.

According to my supplier iceco2 there is no difference. It all comes from the same tank filled by the same truck.

According to my supplier iceco2 there is no difference. It all comes from the same tank filled by the same truck.

No, it doesn't. Beverage grade CO2 is QC'd to ensure no contaminants are present, after some pretty major recalls in the beverage industry several years ago. Seriously, what does that guy really know? There's a guy like that in every gas shop in Europe and everywhere else. They are not supposed to be supplying CO2 for carbonating beverages, unless it has been QC'd and certified as 'beverage grade CO2'. And when us home brewers start dropping like flies, who is going to join any dots? I feel like I am getting a bit melodramatic, but, seriously, who is looking out for us?

Tilbake
Topp