gran

geiro

sitter her å lurer på om det er noen som har noen oppskrifter med gran?
einer er jo mye brukt, menn hviss noen har noe erfaring med ferske granskudd i brygget sitt så tas det imot med takk.
tenker da spesielt på noe inerheten av ett julebrygg selvfølgelig.

Har planer om det samme. Har funne noe intressant info som er limt inn nedenfor, det er linker i teksten til kildene:

Alaskan Winter Beer
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26074&start=0 Was anyone lucky enough to try the Alaskan Brewery winter beer this year? Brewed with Spruce Tips (the young tender little buds of spruce trees).Its an absolute head trip of a beer. You really don't know what you are tasting untill you close your eyes and think of christmas trees.

Cablizard - here's a recipe I worked up to clone this beer. How close is this to your tweaked recipe?

Specifications:
Original Gravity: 1.066, ABW 5.12%, ABV 6.4%, Bitterness: 27 IBU, Color: 17 SRM

10 lbs. 2-row
3 lbs. Munich
8 oz. wheat
12 oz. crystal 20
12 oz. crystal 60
12 oz. crystal 120

All Saaz hops 3.75AA
1 oz. 60 min
1 oz. 30 min
1 oz. 15 min

Yeast - Wyeast 1028, 1098, 1099 - another guess?

OG 1.067 at 65% efficiency
Color - 17 SRM
IBU's - 28

I have no idea about the spruce tips. How much - when to add them - etc.

The Alaskan Winter Ale is a great winter beer - almost too drinkable - easy to drink too many.You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

This is an awesome beer. Look forward to it every winter. I wrote the brewmaster and sent him a clone recipe I came up with, he tweaked it a little for me. Waiting to brew it this spring when I can get my hands on some spruce tips.
This is what I came up with:

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 3.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 13.50
Anticipated OG: 1.068 Plato: 16.48
Anticipated SRM: 10.4
Anticipated IBU: 29.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
66.7 9.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
18.5 2.50 lbs. Munich Malt(2-row) America 1.035 6
5.6 0.75 lbs. Crystal 10L America 1.035 10
5.6 0.75 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
3.7 0.50 lbs. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.50 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.50 19.7 60 min.
1.50 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.50 10.0 30 min.

Extras
Amount Name Type Time
1.00 Tsp Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)
2.00 Oz Spruce tips Herb 45 Min.(boil)

Yeast  WYeast 1332 Northwest Ale

add spruce at 45 min remove at 15min add again at 0 for duration of wort cooling.

Not sure on the ammount of spruce tips but i thought this was a good start. Not sure on the yeast either but figured I would give 1332 a try Family lives in Washington St. so will have them send me a bunch this spring for me to experiment.
Tis a great beer! Any updates on the above posted recipes? We're working up a clone in a thread over on the green board. Here's the link:

http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=47867
How does it compare to juniper berries in aroma? I considered brewing a juniper beer recently, which I assumed would offer a gin-like aroma that I've always associated with Christmas trees.
No recipe here...but I remember seeing something about spruce beer in Charlie Papazian's first book...4 oz of fresh spruce tips if I remember correctly.

I've made several spruce beers over the past few springs. They aren't clones of this Alaskan brew as I've never had it- sounds great to me though! I have several types of spruce in my yard so there is a plentiful harvest each spring. I think I based my recipe on Papazian's recipe and an Old Ale recipe. I really liked the idea of getting some effervesence- a dark beer with a light body with a nice kick...
Here goes:
extract/honey:
1.5# dark DME
1# amer DME
3# orange blossom honey
grains:
8oz. light caramel
4oz. special roast
3oz. pale brown
5oz. roasted
hops/spruce:
.5oz eroica
1oz. cascade
2# spruce tips (no lie!!)

Steeped grains at 150 for 30 min.
Began boil with all extracts, honey, eroica and .5oz cascade
ADDED 1# fresh spruce tips at start of boil also (60 min boil)
at 15min left tossed in .5t. irish moss
at 10min .5oz cascade and .5# more spruce tips
at end added another .5# tips
once cooled, fermented with Nottingham Ale yeast
OG 1.073
FG 1.013
approx 8% ABV

I had made a couple batches in previous years without as much spruce and just wasn't getting much flavor component- just a little aroma. These measurements are correct. i figure the weight of fresh spruce is similar to that of fresh hops- it has a lot of water weight. I'm not sure of the exact species of trees here other that one is a blue spruce. I think the Sitka spruce mentioned in Papazian's book must have a much more potent new growth.

Hope this post wasn't too long... and I hope some others are inspired...
I love this beer and am going to go grab one now in anticipation of the coming spring...
Prost!

What I was told by an old-timer is that the time of the year that the spruce tips are picked is important. What that time is, I don't remember.
tim

You want the fresh buds - so I would assume early summer?

I was able to hear Geoff Larson talk at a homebrew competition last year. He had brought a bunch of his beers and let us drink it. He then was talking about the beers. He said that most people would assume that a spruce beer would be pine-sol like or overpoweringly spruce, but the secret is getting the spruce tips. He said that there is only a 2 week window a year to pick it. Just when the little brown "cap"(I don't know what you call it" is about to fall off, that is when you pick it. Also, it contains a good deal of sugar, so it will raise the gravity if you use a lot.

azmtnbiker  Dec 15 2005, 02:47 AM
Post #1

I have tried this last Friday and I really enjoyed it. I have read the website and have some ideas of how to clone this but need some help. First, I am an extract brewer that will be doing a partial mash for this one. They use saaz hops and list the grains they use but not amounts. Also, yeast selection. I thought english yeast strain like WLP013 or WLP002. Spruce tips?  Were would I get these.
Any suggestions are welcome.

TBoner  Dec 15 2005, 09:25 AM
Post #2

Spruce tip syrup

Spruce tips themselves seem to be tougher to find, though you could likely get a young spruce from a nursery for a few dollars an utilize new growth for your beer. It seems new growth is most frequently utilized.

There are dozens of recipes w/varying amounts of spruce in them, but most seem to add the spruce very early in the boil (i.e. w/or in place of bittering hops) or at the end like aroma hops.

Can't help too much beyond that w/your recipe, as I've never had this beer.

CAFFEINE  Dec 25 2005, 09:57 PM
Post #3

I just tried this beer tonight and I love it! Did you ever come up with any sort of recipe for it?

I have read the website's description of it claiming there is: "A complex blend of six malts including Pale, Wheat, Munich and caramelized malts. Prized Czechoslovakian Saaz hops and Sitka Spruce tips. Original Gravity: 1.066, ABW 5.12%, ABV 6.4%, Bitterness: 27 IBU, Color: 17 SRM "

I could swear there is some hallertau or perhaps some northern brewer in there as well, with the saaz finishing. Thoughts? Anybody else had this beer and have any comments?

http://www.alaskanbeer.com/winter.html
MAZ  Dec 27 2005, 04:46 PM
Post #4

Charlie Papazian has a recipe for this brew in his new book, Microbrewed Adventures. It's a great book and I recommend you pick it up. Here are the basics from the recipe:

4.5 lbs pale malt
2.5 lbs Munich malt
2 lbs wheat malt
1 lb crystal malt 40L
8 ozCaramunich malt
8 oz crystal malt 80L
8 oz fresh Sitka or other spring spruce tips
2 oz Czech Saaz hops 3% aa - 90 min
1/2 oz Czech Saaz hops 3% aa - 15 min
1/4 oz German Hallertauer hops - dry hopping
English or American ale yeast

Total boil is 90 minutes. 6 oz of spruce tips added with bittering hops, 2 oz spruce tips added with flavor hops. Adjust grain amounts based on your efficiency of course.

CAFFEINE  Dec 29 2005, 02:15 AM
Post #7

I found the same spruce tip syrup from the above link available locally in Anchorage at Natural Pantry for $5.99 for an 8 oz bottle. I wonder how using a syrup instead of actual spruce tips will affect the recipe? I'm thinking of adding some of the syrup at flameout and the rest to the secondary.

What yeast are you thinking of using for this brew? I am considering WLP-029 as it is pretty much my favorite ale yeast and I have a huge slurry with nothing else planned for it. But perhaps it will attenuate too much for this style. Maybe something like WLP-011 would be more appropriate?

MAZ  Dec 29 2005, 01:42 PM
Post #8
I was probably just going to go with US56 myself. There will be a lot of flavors going on with this brew, so I want the yeast to get out of the way.

CAFFEINE  Dec 31 2005, 12:21 PM
Post #10

Linkage to AK Winter Ale thread at NB...

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=26074

Ble det brygget noe eller var det mye lesing... ? Har 4 liter med juice nå som jeg koker ned til noen liter med sirup... what to do ?

Vi brygger granølet vårt med en irsk rød som base og hiver i et tonn med granskudd siste fem, ti minuttene. Vi har laga noen runder med granskuddsirup også, men det blir så mye sukker. Jeg er ikke så glad i det.

Vår erfaring er at det tar veldig lang tid før granølet blir godt, men på veien har det veldig mange forskjellige vonde smaker. Men når det først blir godt rundt jul engang blir det veldig godt.

Less is more og se ekstra opp for infeksjoner er min erfaring både med einer og med gran. (Jeg brukte 4 bæreposer einer til 25 L øl. Det ble hvertfall for mye.)

Tilbake
Topp