S-33. Bruksområde og fordeler og ulemper

Jeg kan også trygt anbefale den nye tørrgjæren fra Lallemand, Lallemand Verdant IPA. Har brukt den i et par brygg nå og er mer en fornøyd. Skal visst nok være av Wyeast 1318 herkomst. Og syns det stemmer bra i forhold til utgjæring, flokulering og smaksprofil.

Official line from Lallemand in response to being asked if it's London Ale III :
"It is a strain isolated from what was originally a 3 strain culture. Not a million miles away in profile that kind of yeast but distinct from."

"In Lallemand‘s standard wort, LalBrew® Verdant IPA exhibits fermentation which can be completed within 5 days at 20°C with a recommended pitch rate of 50-100g per hL of wort, which is sufficient to achieve a minimum of 2.5-5 million viable cells/mL."

– Medium to high attenuation (72-82%)
– Moderate to high flocculation
– Optimal temperature: 18 to 23°C

Prominent notes of apricot and undertones of tropical fruit and citrus merge seamlessly with hop aromas in this highly versatile strain. With medium-high attenuation, LalBrew® Verdant IPA leaves a soft and balanced malt profile with slightly more body than a typical American IPA yeast strain.

Typical flavor descriptors:

– Most notably Apricot
– Slight peach but not as prominent
– Some sweeter notes such as Vanilla, creamy

Finn Berger

Jeg kan også trygt anbefale den nye tørrgjæren fra Lallemand, Lallemand Verdant IPA. Har brukt den i et par brygg nå og er mer en fornøyd. Skal visst nok være av Wyeast 1318 herkomst. Og syns det stemmer bra i forhold til utgjæring, flokulering og smaksprofil.

Official line from Lallemand in response to being asked if it's London Ale III :
"It is a strain isolated from what was originally a 3 strain culture. Not a million miles away in profile that kind of yeast but distinct from."

"In Lallemand‘s standard wort, LalBrew® Verdant IPA exhibits fermentation which can be completed within 5 days at 20°C with a recommended pitch rate of 50-100g per hL of wort, which is sufficient to achieve a minimum of 2.5-5 million viable cells/mL."

– Medium to high attenuation (72-82%)
– Moderate to high flocculation
– Optimal temperature: 18 to 23°C

Prominent notes of apricot and undertones of tropical fruit and citrus merge seamlessly with hop aromas in this highly versatile strain. With medium-high attenuation, LalBrew® Verdant IPA leaves a soft and balanced malt profile with slightly more body than a typical American IPA yeast strain.

Typical flavor descriptors:

– Most notably Apricot
– Slight peach but not as prominent
– Some sweeter notes such as Vanilla, creamy

1318 gjærer ikke så hardt ut - den skal visstnok ikke klare maltotriose i det hele tatt - så det virker rart om det skulle være den samme. Jeg tror ikke jeg har sett at den har gitt mer enn 77/78% utgjæring.

1318 gjærer ikke så hardt ut - den skal visstnok ikke klare maltotriose i det hele tatt - så det virker rart om det skulle være den samme. Jeg tror ikke jeg har sett at den har gitt mer enn 77/78% utgjæring.

Det dreier seg tydeligvis om en isolert stamme med opphav i 1318.

"So, we got a lot of info on the new dry Verdant IPA yeast from Lalbrew today. Here's the youtube link for the talkthrough with Robert Percival (Lallemand) and James Heffron (Verdant).
The TLDR is that this is indeed London Ale III, but, it is a version of London Ale III that had been serially repitched by Verdant a few years ago, and took on a specific profile of Apricot and Vanilla that they loved, so they got it isolated by Brewlab in Sunderland (UK) from the by then mixed culture they had been repitching."

Mange rapporterer at den ikke gjærer så hardt ut som Lallemand opplyser i sine data, meg selv innkludert. Fikk attenuasjon på hvv 73% og 75%.
Uansett en gjær verdt å sjekke opp hvis man skal brygge NEIPA med tørrgjær og vil ha noe i nærheten av den ettertraktede 1318 profilen.

Sist redigert:

Finn Berger

Det dreier seg tydeligvis om en isolert stamme med opphav i 1318.

"So, we got a lot of info on the new dry Verdant IPA yeast from Lalbrew today. Here's the youtube link for the talkthrough with Robert Percival (Lallemand) and James Heffron (Verdant).
The TLDR is that this is indeed London Ale III, but, it is a version of London Ale III that had been serially repitched by Verdant a few years ago, and took on a specific profile of Apricot and Vanilla that they loved, so they got it isolated by Brewlab in Sunderland (UK) from the by then mixed culture they had been repitching."

Mange rapporterer at den ikke gjærer så hardt ut som Lallemand opplyser i sine data, men selv innkludert. Fikk attenuasjon på hvv 73% og 75%.
Uansett en gjær verdt å sjekke opp hvis man skal brygge NEIPA med tørrgjær og vil ha noe i nærheten av den ettertraktede 1318 profilen.

Interessant. 1318 skal være fra Boddington's, men "The origins of 1318 are rather hazy, everyone says it's Boddington's, but a) that's 200 miles from London and b) they seem to have had various problems with their yeasts, particularly in the 1980s, and their original strain is probably lost. I've not seen a convincing origin, there's one theory that they replaced their old yeast with one bought in from Courage of London." (Imperial A38 Juice yeast)

Jeg bruker 1318 og A38 om hverandre, og oppfatter dem som like. Jeg har aldri sett noe om at dette skal være en blanda kultur - men opphavet har høyst sannsynlig vært en blanda kultur; jeg tror veldig mange engelske ølkulturer må ha vært det. Versjonen fra Verdant må være spesiell, men jeg har ikke fått hørt på videoen ennå. Høres spennende ut:).

Kold Brygg

Norbrygg-medlem
Nå skled diskusjonen omkring S-33 veldig ut her, men prøver å dra den tilbake på sporet.

Fikk veldig lyst til å prøve S-33 i en bitter etter å ha lest denne.

This poor yeastie has got such a bad rep... Tempted to try S-33 for the first time, I thoroughly read every thread on this forum that mention it, this one included. As a result, I was extremely apprehensive with my S-33 experiment.
And I loved the beer it made. It's one of my favourite yeasts now.

I struggle to understand how people get stuck fermentations with this yeast. I consistently get 70-72% attenuation, down to 1.015 in three weeks in primary, during which it flocculated reasonably well and in no way stays cloudy and hazy, like some report. Never needed to baby it, no special treatment whatsoever, just standard fermentation procedure, same as with all my other English yeasts. Yes, it attenuates on the lower side, but it's not a fault, it's by design. There's plenty of styles that require lower attenuation.

Of course, there's nothing Belgian in it. It's a classic English yeast in the vein of Windsor, perfectly suitable for cloning the Fuller's range, Scottish ales and other styles that need some body and residual sweetness. I wonder why Fermentis mention Trappist ales at all in their recommendations. Safale BE-256, BE-134 and T-58 are far better suited for Belgian styles. Maybe, the obvious mislabeling can be the main culprit behind this yeast getting so much bad rep. No wonder people are often disappointed when trying to make Belgian styles with English yeast.
This yeast is indeed a variety of London ESB / M15 Empire Ale dry strain as its flavour and overall behaviour suggests. It's the cheapest and the most neutral of them, which is great.

Sorry for unearthing a zombie thread. I just feel I need to add another positive feedback on S-33 experience for those who will search S-33 threads, like I was searching several months before.

Topp