International Homebrew Competition & Customs (Toll)

Does anyone know what the correct procedure is for importing/exporting beer for beer a competition?

Do I need to go through Vinmonopolet, or is there another organization that can help facilitate this?

Currently there are 10 EU participants and 4 Norwegian participants in the SJPorr Challenge. So, there will be 11 packages arriving from outside Norway, that will then need to be repackaged and shipped back to where they came from with 13 new beers + 1 of the originals.

What is the best way to handle this?

Mvh!

Zanity skrev:
Hiyas Tony

I think it's best to contact the norwegian customs in your region (Oslo/Akershus, right?).

Have a look at this page (in English) to see how to contact them:
http://toll.no/templates_TAD/MainTopic.aspx?id=267804&epslanguage=en
Don't think Vinmonopolet will get involved as long as it's not intended for selling.

Ps. Love your Homebrew Wednesday vids.

TommyDS/Zanity

Thanks Tommy, I appreciate the pointer! I'll give them a ring Monday morning and see what they say.

Cheers!

OK, so the summary is this:

No problem importing beer/alcohol products into Norway, just have to pay tax of course. There are 3 tax levels that determine the final total tax cost.

The tax law is as follows:

#1: Alcohol Tax
- % of alcohol is between 3,7 - 4,7, then 20,34 NOK per liter.
- % of alcohol is between 4,8 - 22, then 4,54 NOK * % per liter (i.e. 6,2% beer => 4,54 * 6,2 = 34,35 NOK / liter)

#2: PANT Tax
- Glass Bottles: 6,44 NOK / Bottle
- Plastic Bottles: 4,32 NOK / Bottle

#3: VAT Tax
- Total Value = Sum of the value of all bottle (as a homebrewers, I value each (bottle + content) as ~10 NOK per bottle)
- VAT = 25% * (#1 + #2 + Total Value)

So lets say I have 14 beers in 500ml glass bottles with an abv of 5.5%. Total import tax becomes:

# 1: (4,54 * 5,5) * 7 (liters) = 174,79 NOK
# 2: 6,44 * 14 = 90,16 NOK
# 3: (174,79 + 90,16) + (10 NOK * 14) =  404,95 * .25 = 101,24 NOK

Total = 174,79 + 90,16 + 101,24 = 366,19 NOK (per box)

So at a cost of ~366,19 NOK per box, this is probably enough motivation to get a post box in Sweden. :)

I hope someone will find this useful. Cheers!

Still doesn't explain why an AleSmith Speedway Stout costs nearly 200 NOK per bottle at Vika VM!!! :)

Skål!

Tilbake
Topp